We are supporting the following charities:
email us email us email us email us

Wednesday 19 August 2009

I no longer have 9 lives...

I can, as anyone who knows me would agree - be a bit of a risk taker. Today however a stubborn object [me] met and immovable force [Scarfell Pike]. The MET office has issues a weather waring for the Lake District area, we can at first had confirm that yes it is dangerous to be on Scarfell Pike in the fog, hard driving rain [one side of my face 3 hours later is still stinging], fading light and very high winds.

We Started of on a longer route from a different side of the peak to the 3 peaks challenge, I wanted us to get a really feel for the mountain, not a quick up and down. After a slow leg burning climb, the cloud once again dropped a few hundred meters around us. As if the mountain had too enough visitors for the day and was shutting up shop!

I new the route, I studied it, I knew what we needed to do to get there, so did Bryn. It all went a little pear when the fog hit us and some of the worst driving rain I have every been in. The wind was so high my feet would push on to the other. All up the mountain, paths quickly turned to waterfalls and navigation points vanished. Bryn will update more on the Scarfell trip tomorrow,

We have to crash we have to be up in 7 hours to start the next one.

I think Scarfell took one of my 9 lives, I'm just grateful it was not all of them! That one was a little close for comfort it's the first time on this trip I have felt in danger.
-darren

No comments:

Sports (Blogs) - TOP.ORG