We are supporting the following charities:
email us email us email us email us

Sunday 23 August 2009

Done!

It was hard, much harder than we thought. 10 huge peaks in 5 days was a task and a half, just completing Ben Nevis and Ben MacDui in the first day was epic. We've received the greatest words of support from people who have walked some of our routes themselves. They've understood the enormity of getting up them quickly as we tried. We are not ultra athletes, just two normal guys that pushed ourselves to reach our goal this year. It was tough, the logistics of traveling 1350 miles around the UK, drying kit, eating at the right time, setting up camp, taking down camp, checking routes and blogging took up more time than the running/speed hiking did! Thankfully a good distraction from the growing injury list we amassed in the first few days...

29 hrs seems such a long time to complete just 122 km, but when I sit down and think, it was either up hill, over tough ground, broken paths and in possibly some of the worst out door weather I've be training in. We dodged and got caught in a few MET office weather warnings for heavy rain and windy conditions as we pushed on through the north of the country.

It's opened my eyes to the shear scale of organisation needed even for a smaller charity event like this one.

I think everyone expected me to be broken at the end, but strangely 48 hours on I'm moving around fine. I did some stretches today, my shoulders and left knee are healing nicely and the blisters are only a 3 or 4 days away from being able to take a light jog or bike ride. My IBD held up long enough to complete the event, a worry I managed to not have this time.

I've still much to add to the final blog entries with questions and information on what we got up to. I'll get these online shortly.
Thanks again for everyone's support, it's been both touching and humbling. Thank you.
-darren

No comments:

Sports (Blogs) - TOP.ORG