We are supporting the following charities:
email us email us email us email us

Monday 13 April 2009

Run, run, run

I think the readers of this blog, a few sponsors and people who know me, know the last five or six weeks have been a nightmare for training. I get repaired and something else gives way.

Sadly I know my IBS, by whatever form it's morphing in to these days, plays a large part in my daily life. Training can become tense and complicated affair, but still necessary. There's no way I'm slacking off, hiding or contemplating calling it a day. Each obstacle means I need to find a new route around it!

My feet are s-l-o-w-l-y repairing and I'm still running with light strapping. Time is the only way I've been healing, but it has not stopped my running the last four days. Mixing up trail, city and beach runs to keep my mind off the pace I've felt I've lost with all the draw backs of recent weeks.

Like Bryn I've checked my progress lately, it's been a long road and getting longer, each month we have to push that bit more. When I snapped my Achilles Tendon six years ago, I never thought I'd be here, running, hiking and learning new skill sets like this. It has however still left issues I can't easily resolve, the lower scar tissue of the operation rubs against any shoe I stick my left foot in. Padded socks work well, but strapping is still needed. I guess the worst part is a nine inch scar, or more so, what's under it. I still get pain after a few hours of training, hiking or running. I can't help thinking "...I hope I'm not pushing this too hard?". My left leg always pulls back from a longer stride, hitting the ground slightly harder, I guess that will never leave me. If anyone wants to buy less used right footed trainers, drop me a line as my left shoes only last half as long!

Both Bryn and myself have highs and lows whilst training with each under such intensity, then a short break then back on the hills and trails again. It works well, each of use working his own corner.

I'm learning to focus on breathing and trying to push my running distances. Also more importantly I'm learning to enjoy what I'm doing, after all this is not some kind of detention or forfeit.

-darren - keeping on moving...

Stumble It!

No comments:

Sports (Blogs) - TOP.ORG