We are supporting the following charities:
email us email us email us email us

Monday 13 April 2009

Just two miles.

The whole UKEC camp has been training, working on logistics or generally getting our plans in order for the main event. I mean with just FOUR months left until we kick off, times a ticking!

I personally had a huge boost this week with a personal message from none other than Dr. Ron Hill MBE and basically living running legend. Wiki states he's '... run three Olympic Marathons (Tokyo 1964, Mexico 1968 and Munich 1972), and has a personal marathon record of 2:09:28. In 1970, Hill won the 74th Boston Marathon in a course record 2:10:30. During the 1970s, he also won gold medals at the European Championships and Commonwealth Games'.

So here's the deal I open my mail on Saturday and in with my new padded socks to assist with these damn blisters, there was a tube with what looked to be a bit of odd card stick in it from Hilly Clothing. I pull out the said bit of card and find it's a picture of Ron Hill running in the 1970 Boston Marathon, next to a sign saying 'do not pass'. Underneath were the words "To Darren, Bryn and the team, keep up the good work!", brilliant, the guys taken the time to send us a note and it's much appreciated. Then I notice a little further down it says "Darren, when things get tough remember 2 miles is better than nothing". Referring to my previous comments of only being able to run a mile or two then stop in pain. After I collected my jaw off the floor, the hair stood up on the back of my neck.

Today I awoke at 5 am, I was in pain, I'd forgot my stomach tablets after a night away with my girlfriend and contemplated going back to bed, but those words "...2 miles is better than nothing!" is now etched firmly on the back of my eye balls. Tying my laces and bracing myself for the cold morning air, I ran my 2 miles, then added 3 more on for measure. Along the Dawlish Warren beach and surrounding coastal paths although uncomfortable, it puts this event in perspective. I'm in a privileged position, our nominated charities need our support and fundrasing far more than I need to be grumbling about my blisters.

Thank Dr Ron, you summed it up perfectly.

-darren - defiantly still moving...!


Stumble It!

No comments:

Sports (Blogs) - TOP.ORG