We are supporting the following charities:
email us email us email us email us

Thursday 29 January 2009

Life's a changing

When I've listened to people say things like "...this experience has changed my life", I've shrugged, thought it over dramatic and changed channel or if in person glazed over. If I dig deeper in to this, it really means I need to find my own life changing experiences, without them I guess I'll just be another guy in the pub when I'm 60 looking back on my life referring constantly to the joys I never had and the experiences I never felt.

Oddly enough this event and subsequent mini events around organising and training for the UK Everest Challenge, is really making a difference. I've been suffering for the last four weeks with a bit of depression and lack of energy. Since late December, I've been constantly tired, grumpy and not in any training zone. Yet I'd be out in all weathers and running, hiking through the kilometers.

My commitment was there, but my body was not.

There's been a lot going on, giving up caffeine, reducing beer, cutting back on alcohol in general, learning what to eat healthy all over again and really pushing my training. If you change your diet, eating habits and give up caffeine, there's just going to be a few teething issues. I thought I was prepared, but I was surprised at the lack of core energy to do anything other than, training, eat and sleep after work.

The great feeling is in the last few days I can now see the reward. It's like a huge chip removed from my shoulders.

My belly is shrinking and my dormant muscles are waking up!

This weekend we are going to expanding our distances for training, with a huge 45Km hike/run planned for early February, North Dartmoor to South Dartmoor.
Bring on the hills...
-Darren


Stumble It!

No comments:

Sports (Blogs) - TOP.ORG